Here's something that totally confuses me.
People say that when you accept Jesus Christ into your heart and life, things should change for you- that you will turn your life around and start doing good, whereas before every thought of your heart was only evil continually. I beleive this no questions asked, because out of love for what Christ did for me I see no choice but to do my best to follow the commands he lays out in his word. So far so good.
Lately, however, I keep catching wind of this idea that upon salvation we are endowed with some kind of special ability to do good that we didn't have before. And also that once you are a Christian, you will be able to acheive levels of goodness unreachable to the unregenerate person. This is very new to me, and I'm not sure I'm really buying it. I tend to think that being good is every bit as difficult after you become a Christian as it was before, the only difference being that you have a greater motivation to do good and a greater knowledge of what goodness is after salvation. Also I tend to think that there are many unbeleivers who do a perfectly fine job of "being good," even though there is no true faith in their actions. They just want to live cleaned-up lives because it makes them happy.
So what's the difference between people like that and born again Christians, other than the motives and the state of the heart? In Born Again Colson talks about people who had already been saved but were still struggling with achoholism or drug addiction, until they were "filled with the Holy Spirit." And then they just lost the need to drink or smoke, like the holy spirit had actually performed a miricle in their bodies. If that kind of thing really happens today, I can see how it could be easier to be good after salvation. But I don't know if it does.
I think I almost understand this, but I can't quite put my finger on it yet. So there's some food for thought, follow-up post probably soon to come. Thoughts?
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
bondage
This line recited by
emily
at
11:29 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Yeah, I'm not sure I buy that either. I think that once you find Jesus you're just a lot more motivated in general to do good in the world. Its nothing you "couldn't" do before, just some things you may have been unwilling to. Or maybe you were willing, but didn't have the motivation to go out and do it.
I believe in miracles, but those are things that God does....
So if a person gives up alchoholism after finding God it might be a miracle granted by God or a surge of willpower inspired by God.
If that makes any sense.
Gosh you picked a hard topic mnm! that's such a tough one....for once even I don't have a clear-cut opinion on this one. :P But I guess I'll try and figure out some of my thoughts here...
I guess for one thing, what do you define as good? I think everyone is perfectly capable of doing good things. Christians perhaps have a better idea of what good is, if they study the life of Christ. If they are really dedicated to following that lifestyle, then I would say they will probaly accomplish more "good" than a non-believer, because sometimes it takes a lot of sacrifice that most people wouldn't just make on their own, without believing it's something God wanted them to do.
So, I think it's just as hard to do "good things" after you're a Christian. I guess I could be theologically off-base there, but that's what seems to make sense to me. Especially being more aware of your sin, it sometimes makes the good things seem more unattainable. Some of my best friends (and some of the most real and godly people I know) struggle with addictions, depression, marriage issues, and all sorts of messed up things that any normal person deals with.
Non-Christians and Christians alike both struggle with and overcome addictions. Though I do believe that God does do miracles and just take the desire away completely, because I've seen him do it in someone I know. For that though, I've only heard of it happening with Christians. That I'd define as a miracle. :)
Hmmm....yeah, I can't think of any verses or anything that would speak to this off the top of my head. but I'll have to give it some more thought and maybe ask somebody tomorrow.
some further thoughts:
I think the big difference here is between righteousness and goodness. for now at least, I don't buy that Christians are suddenly endowed with power to do good that non-Christians don't have. I've seen non-Christians do some pretty amazing, good things, while I've also seen Christians do some awful things.
so the only difference is that we can't be righteous in God's sight unless we're Christians. no matter what we're doing as humans, it won't be "good" in God's sight if we're not doing it to honor Him. and non-Christians usually don't try doing good things to please God, since they don't believe in Him.
whatever we do though, once we accept Christ's sacrifice, we are righteous in God's sight. and if we really recognize what He did and how much we owe Him, then I believe we'll start doing more "good."
I hope that clarifies my thoughts a little bit more. I had some more time to think about it today.
Wow, that is really really cool Verya. I think that might be exactly the distinction- we have Christ's blood covering our sins and making us righeous in spite of them, whereas unbeleivers stand naked in their true natures. I think that might be it right there.
I'm glad you guys agree with me, because I never felt a sudden change in my ability to do good and that was kind of concerning for a minute there. :-)
Willingness is the ability. If you're not motivated, then your incapable.
I believe that God gives one the willingness to do the thing and encourages determination.
Alcoholics and drug attics depend on those things. But when they receive salvation, they depend on God, no longer drugs and alcohol. I know real life situations are not always so black and white, but I believe the foundation is true.
"so the only difference is that we can't be righteous in God's sight unless we're Christians. no matter what we're doing as humans, it won't be "good" in God's sight if we're not doing it to honor Him. and non-Christians usually don't try doing good things to please God, since they don't believe in Him." -Verya
I agree. :)
I think also the knowledge of our depraved conditions and Christ's sacrifice for us motivates us to do good works.
The test of faith is by one's fruit.
I think that's basically true Lindy, although you're right that it's not always so black and white. It's funny, I brought up this question at church and immeadiatly everyone said yes, you have a different power to do good once you become a Christian. But it didn't take very long of discussing it to realize that it's not really like that at all, but somehow people automatically think that it is. Weird, huh?
Weird, definitely. :)
Post a Comment