Saturday, August 01, 2009

you've been having trouble staying asleep, you've been waking up at 4:12

Every year the routine is the same. After floating around in outer space for a week we have to endure rough bumps and jars as we re-enter the earth's atmosphere, remembering how to perform mundane tasks like driving a car or using a computer or cell phone. Nothing could be more frusterating. But then when the transition is made and I find myself, somewhat unwillingly, back in my familiar house once again, I shower, unpack, and share storys from the week with the family. All rather unwillingly. But slowly I begin to warm up to my new-old enviroment and see the rightness of the whole pattern, the place real life has in the fabric of thinking I wove for myself while I was away.

And then, after meticulously cleaning up ever corner of my room, I sit down, check my emails, and pull up a blank draft for a blog post. In spite of hopeless exaustion and the threat of an early morning the next day, I'm never furthur from sleep then after returning from Camp. My mind is alive, my emotions are churning in a cacophany of noise and color and brain-matter stuff. I'm bursting to express myself, desperate to make this moment count for something. And usually after attempting to make that blog post captering the essence of all that I am and all that life is, I give up and go do something to remember, like climb up to the top of the swing set and listen to Angels and Airwaves under the stars. Or write in one of my stories a scene that I'll keep comming back to for forever. What will it be tonight? In the end, nothing ever quite satisfies the intense longing Camp Hope creates in me for something I can't identify and I have to just go to bed. The next day, the process of forgetting begins and somehow it doesn't bother me like it does tonight.

So what is it? What is it about Camp Hope that shakes me to my core every single time, weather it's Junior or Teen camp, weather I'm staff or a camper, and no matter who comes? It's so strange.

I just know that when I first arrived I felt disapointed, because it really wasn't all that great. I saw a bunch of dirty cabins in the woods with a gutterball table in the middle. And then people started showing up and I thought the same thing- these are just regular teens with regular teen problems. Whatever magic Camp Hope used to have for me is over now, that was all a part of hormonal adolesence. I think this just about ever year. But like usual, I warmed up to it and became so emotionally attached to EVERYTHING and everyone. For reasons I just don't understand.

I noticed this year that at the beginning of camp I was judging people right and left- this person was better looking than that person, that person just plain bothered me, this group of people could hardly compare to my elect chosen few I wanted to be friends with exclusively. I didn't realize I was judging them, I guess I just always judge people and choose favorites and think mean thoughts. But as the week progressed these barriers began to fall down, and I started noticing things about people that endeared them to me, things that went so much deeper than their ability to measure up to my personal standard. The ability to love, just naturally, compulsively, uninhibitedly, is born in me during camp and it spills over to include just about everyone. I've heard that to trully love someone you have to see them how God sees them, and I think I began to see people that way to an extent this week. I forgot all about my original steriotypes.

And then there's the Anual Disapearence of Inhabitions. Everyone always points it out: at Camp Hope nobody tries to be cool or impress anyone. That atmosphere is simply not tollerated. You can just be who you are and do what you want to do and people will laugh and yes, join in. I have become such a snob over the year, thinking that I was finally beyond being reckless and even a little stupid. It's so amazing to be in an atmosphere where you feel people will love you no matter what, where you can "open up and come alive." How long have I been caging myself in the same closed-minded expectations I place on other people, as though there's only one right way to be and I have to find it?

Most importantly of all, I never feel closer to God than when I'm at camp. Suddenly everything in me is involved when we're singing a worship song, my emotions and my desires as well as my mind. My prayers become so real and more constant, the truths in the chapel messages often sink furthur in than they would have at home. It's never perfect, of course, but He just seems closer when I'm at Camp, away from everything that makes me stumble. It's all so beleivable. Faith is so strong, conviction so real. What I wouldn't give to live like this all the time!

My priorities change so much when I'm at camp. It's hard to beleive that a week ago I was stressing over doctrinal technicalities or work or school or relationships when there are such things as worship and fellowship and unspeakable friendship. Ahh, I just want everything about my life to change so much. I want to be more, do more, see more, live more. And I don't ever want to forget the memories from this week, even though many of them were hard and painful and stressful and not fun for me at the moment. I want to hold on to every tiny thing I learned. Like I said, it's just so strange.

My only theory is that Camp Hope is a little bit like what heaven will be. Lots of hard work, a LOT of honest and real worship, indescribable, intimate communion with God 24-7, and unending fellowship with true beleivers. Suddenly I understand why we won't miss things like sleeping or food or marriage. If that's what heaven is going to be like, I can hardly wait another day.

28 comments:

Matt Sullivan said...

cool post, Emily!

Anonymous said...

oooh Emily. That does make me excited for Heaven. What a perfect thought.


<3
thanks.

emily said...

Thanks for commenting guys. :-) It's been so depressing how no one's been online since camp!

Anonymous said...

I know! It's like no one wants to go back to same ol' same ol' blog.


Try facebook, it seems to be hopping, though.

Anonymous said...

Oh man Em! Thanks soooo much for making that comparison at the end, cuz I constantly struggle with the notion that we won't have family or a spouse in heaven. But that totally makes sense!

Bo said...

Actually, If you log onto gmail, chances are there is someone on chat. and facebook. hahaha.

(ditto on the amazing post btw.)

Katie said...

I am glad that Em has such great writing talents, now I don't have to make a blogpost for my self.

emily said...

Ha! That's where you're wrong Katie- EVERYONE needs to make a camp hope post. It's practically the golden law of the Dolphin Order, I think.

Bo, you're always online, but you're always asleep too! I don't like waking people up to talk to them, lol. I did sign into gmail today for the first time in forever and there were a few people on, so that was nice.

I'm glad you agree with me Lindy. I also like to think of heaven as having that same kind of real, earthy beauty to it as Camp Hope has... I mean, I know it says the streets will be paved with gold, I just hope it won't be all riches and splendor. Some trees and sunrises and mountains would be nice too.

emily said...

Speaking of heaven, Julie once told me that we won't be fully satisfied in heaven until Jesus comes again and we are re-united with our bodies. Like, we'll just be spirits floating around, glorying in the presense of God but not able to do things like work or physical worship, I think. Isn't that a weird thought?

I mean, I'm sure it will be great, and time will prolly go really fast, but it's still not quite what I picture most of the time.

MJ said...

I guess it doesn't really matter and we'll find out but I don't like that answer, i always want to know. i hope heaven is a tiny bit like that. With people so amazing you could worship them, but you're so focused on God it doesn't matter. All you think about is Him, His glory. Christ's death. His resurrection.

Sometimes there are those fleeting moments where everything makes sense. It falls apart soon after that, but I normally have enough to remember there is sense in the world.

Blah, blah, blah. Sorry, I'm in a weird mood.

I love the post, btw.

Anonymous said...

"With people so amazing you could worship them, but you're so focused on God it doesn't matter."

MJ you just read my mind I love you so much!

Sarah said...

Awesome post, Em!
Ahh, camp is so amazing <3 I love how like you were saying, that you can just be yourself. You don't have to worry about expectations that you set for yourself or others who you're always around set for you.

That is an interesting thought about our souls just kinda floating around heaven...hmm. I wonder what it'll be like...

Sarah said...

Hey do I have you on my chat list on gmail? I'm online a lot ^_^

Bethany said...

Yes, I totally agree with you Lindy, I always struggle with the exact same thing about Heaven . . . I guess mostly it's one of those things we will understand when we are their.

But right now, as human, it's hard to see Heaven as the paradise it's supposed to be without family and spouse. Not that it won't be. I'm sure it will.

Dorothy said...

In his sermon this weekend, my pastor mentioned something about Heaven. he's doing a series on abiding in the Father (which I thought was kind of odd, considering that's what our devotions were on at camp). but anyway, I digress.

he's been stressing a lot the urgency and the supreme importance of spending time in the Bible and spending quality time building a relationship with God. not because we aren't saved if we don't, and not to beat us up, but simply because we're missing out so incredibly much if we treat our quiet time lightly and it doesn't matter to us.
it's hard to put into words, but it's been an amazing series for me.

he's been talking about developing quiet time between you and God that "fits" you. not: 20 minutes of intense prayer and half an hour of really deep Bible study, 10 minutes of worship music, blah blah blah, but something that fits your own personality and who you are as a person, and as God's child.

but this weekend he was talking about how lightly so many of us Christians take our quiet time. How it should be like manna that sustains us each day, and that we should need it to refresh us newly each day - not let one sunday carry us to the next.
but he also talked about how hard it can be, with life and busyness and everything that gets in the way.
and that was when he said it about heaven - in heaven we won't have to worry about squeezing that time in, and it won't ever be awkward, not knowing what to say during your prayer, or anything like that. it will be pure, unrestricted, absolute worship and relationship with God ALL THE TIME.

that just made me so excited because for me it's always been hard to "do" the quiet time thing. I feel like I'm always copying someone else and it doesn't "fit" me at all. so this series has been really cool and a huge relief for me, and I'm figuring out new things about God and me, and us, all at the same time. it's pretty amazing.

but to know that when we get to Heaven we'll be complete at last and worship and quiet times won't be a struggle anymore - that's to me the most exciting thing of all!

Dorothy said...

wow that was really long - sorry. it's late, what can I say?

emily said...

That's really cool, Kacy. I think what you're saying proves true with me, in that when I DO take the time to have really good devotions, my whole life is just transformed by it. Kind of like at Camp. But a lot of the time I don't do that and my life is just blah because of it.

Sarah, I don't think you are on my Gmail chat list! Something should be done about that. The only thing is, as much as I want to spend all my time talking to you amazing people, I often have to actually be working at work. Just so you know if I'm logged off it's not because I'm avoiding anyone. :-)

Sarah said...

Hahaha yes working at work IS something that should probably get done.... ;-) I need to add you to my list.

Dorothy said...

*sigh* work is highly overrated these days....

Anonymous said...

Haha It IS extremely tiring some days, but I hate not working.

MJ said...

me, too.

Anonymous said...

<3 mj :)

New post please!

Dorothy said...

I think their on vacation or something.

Sarah said...

Yeah, they are...that's what Em told me on chat a couple days ago.

Bethany said...

Actually, their vacation kinda failed when their car broke down just on the other side of the mountains.
: (

So they're home again.

Sarah said...

aww, that really stinks. =(

emily said...

Actually it's not too bad- as I was telling Kiwi, I got to tour Ellensburg which is adorable and now I have a totally free week to do with as I please. I wasn't sure I was up for a ten day family vacation anyway, although we were going to see Yellowstone and my Grandpa so that's a bummer.

Bethany said...

Well, make a post then, dear. please?